Frequently Asked Questions

Click each question to expand answer

1. What is the Television Music License Committee and what does it do?
2. How is the Committee funded?
3. How is the Committee structured?
4. What does a music publisher do?
5. What are music public performance rights?
6. Doesn’t my network pay for that?
7. What do ASCAP, BMI and SESAC do?
8. Why do I need to have licenses with the PROs?
9. Why don’t I get performance rights when I buy the show from the syndicator or when I get the music from the music library?
10. If I wanted to, could I license the performance right to the music in a show from someone other than a PRO?
11. What is a blanket license?
12.What is a per program license?
13. Why would I ever want to license music performance rights directly from composers and publishers or
 through my program suppliers?
14. How is it determined how much I pay ASCAP, BMI and SESAC?
15.What are the terms of the current licenses with ASCAP, BMI and SESAC?
16. How can I budget for the future?
17. What if I am streaming or want to stream my local programming on my station’s website, is the music in those streamed programs covered by my ASCAP, BMI and SESAC licenses?
18. What about my station’s digital television (DTV) signal — is that covered by my licenses with the PROs?
19. How can my station get involved with the Television Music License Committee?